The City of Mississauga’s Budget Committee has approved the 2024 schedule for fees and charges, including the City’s Stormwater charge, which was recently revised. The City charges user fees for various services like transit, room and ice rentals, as well as recreation and culture programs. Fees and charges help to recover costs for services or activities that the City provides.
“User fees and charges play an important role in helping the City generate revenue to offset costs in other areas,” said Marisa Chiu, Director, Finance and Treasurer. “While most services are covered through the collection of property taxes, user fees and charges are charged to those who benefit directly from a program or service. Price recommendations are based on cost recovery, participation rates, the availability of affordable offerings, service sustainability, customer feedback and market conditions.”
2024 schedule for fees and charges
All fees and charges are reviewed by staff during the annual budget process. The City completed an internal review and evaluated its fees and charges for 2024. Several corporate reports on the proposed changes were received and approved by the Budget Committee yesterday. Some of the proposed fees and changes include:
Transit – fare changes (effective April 1, 2024)
- $3.20 to $3.40 for PRESTO single Adult fare
- $131 to $141 for Adult monthly pass
- $2.45 to $2.65 for PRESTO single Youth fare
- $4 to $4.25 for Adult and Youth cash fare
Recreation program fees & rental rates
- NEW: Room rentals fee per sq.ft. for dedicated/shared storage
- NEW: Recording studio and kitchen fee per hour
- NEW: Paramount Fine Foods Centre event fees for affiliated groups per day
Parks, Forestry and Environment fees
- NEW: Natural heritage processing fee
- NEW: Tree protection zone signage fee
General fees and charges
- NEW: EDO IDEA Square One Innovation Hub fee
Chiu added, “The recommendations to change fees and charges are based on factors like market conditions, demand for service, cost of delivery, and inflation. Price increases are recommended for programs and lines of business that can absorb the increase without negatively affecting participation or revenue.”
The Fees and Charges By-law, approved by Council, identifies the rates and fees proposed for specific City services, programs and activities. The 2024 Fees and Charges schedule is set to be implemented as of January 1, 2024 (with some exceptions to align with business areas).
Final approval for all fees and charges will be made at Council on Wednesday, October 11, 2023.
Budget Committee meetings
The next Budget Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, November 27, 2023, at 9:30 a.m., and is open for the public to attend. The full schedule of meetings is available online at Council and Committees Calendar Listings.
Learn more about the City’s 2024 Budget and Business Plan by and the important role they play in our City by:
- Attending in person or watching a Budget Committee meeting via live stream.
- Signing up for a 2024 Budget Information Session on Tuesday, November 28, 2023
- Emailing a question or comment to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 311
- Following the City budget conversations and posts on Facebook and X (formally Twitter)
- Reading the proposed Budget Book (being released publicly on November 6, 2023)
- Watching the Budget Basics video
For more information about the City’s budget, visiting mississauga.ca/budget.